Thursday, January 28, 2010

big bro

 
 i knew when ben was really little that he would be an awesome big brother one day.  he is such a compassionate, fun, energetic, and helpful guy.  one of the first questions most people ask me these days is, "how's ben doing with him (graham)?"  to be honest, he acts like graham has always been here, which has been such a blessing for me.  when i was real pregnant with graham, i remember at one point feeling so guilty that i was about to rock ben's world by shoving this new human into his life permanently.  of course, now that i look back, i realize that was a silly fear.  ben's life will be all the more better with a baby brother.  there is such a special bond between siblings and i am so thankful ben and graham will have that.  they'll always have each other.  i don't know what i'd do without my sister.

for those of you contemplating having a second child, so far, i highly recommend an age difference of at least 4 years.  ben is a constant help.  he goes and gets stuff for graham all the time...a diaper, wipes, pacifier, gas drops, toys, a blanket.  he can even put an outfit together for graham.  when i change graham's diaper, ben is right there waiting to throw it away for me.  he even thanks me for the dirty diaper as i hand it to him.  my most favorite thing that he does is in the car.  i moved his car seat right next to graham and if graham gets upset, he'll put his pacifier in and sit there and hold it, the way he's seen me do, until graham calms down.  it's so cute to look in the backseat and see ben singing along with a song, looking out the opposite window and still holding graham's pacifier in, just like it's second nature.  precious.  four years seems like such a big difference right now, and it will probably feel like that for several more years, and i know they'll have their share of brotherly arguments throughout their time living at home.  but when they are older, four years difference will hardly seem to matter. my sister, amy, and i are ten years apart...but the majority of the time, i feel like she is my same age.  she just must be so young at heart.  :)

one of my best friends, natalie, bought the boys these big and little brother shirts.  i'm just now getting around to capturing their matching attire on camera.  with their chocolaty eyes, these guys look great in brown.  ben loves to wear this shirt.  he is very proud to be a big brother.  graham is extremely lucky. 



i know i'm a tad biased, but these boys are just beautiful.

"i thank my God every time i remember you.."
-philippians 1:3

7 comments:

  1. They are both cuties! John enjoyed his hang out time with Ben. He said, "I'll tell you one thing...that boy is not shy!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those shirts! I plan on getting something similair for Caden and Baylor. I feel the guilt BAD right now about ruining Caden's life with a brother, but you are right, it's really silly of me to think that. It's just hard for me since I am an only child. You have 2 very handsome boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I am praying Dalen will be like this with the 2nd baby! Do you know where the shirts are from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay, I really enjoyed reading this post. Your boys and those chocolate brown eyes are really beautiful! Knox and I have been thinking and praying about future little ones. I don't know that it will be quite four years, but I am with you, a little space between seems to be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So as soon as I saw those cute pictures I wanted to jump in the car and drive to Cleveland! They are getting so big. Please give them a big hug and kiss from me. Hopefully I will be there soon. I'll let you know before hand.
    P.S. Whenever Blake is sitting with me on the computer he says, "Been, Been." That means he wants to look at pictures of Ben. We have seen every pic on your facebook 8748597498574 times, but that's okay with me. :) Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww.. handsome fellows you got there. Especially that Charleston Graham kid:-) love you and jk:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My siblings and I are all exactly four years apart :) I must agree it's pretty nice!! Your post brought a little tear to my eye!! I wanted to do the same but when I start to add it up in my head, it'll be kinda difficult to fit multiple ones in with a spacing of four years...haha! Guess we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete